How to Find a Halfway House
A halfway house is a sober living environment that allows men and women the opportunity to continue on in their personal journeys of recovery after they transition out of medical detox and inpatient treatment. One of the biggest issues that individuals who are new to recovery face are finding a halfway house that is safe, reputable, and meets all of their individualized needs.
While there are many halfway houses throughout the state of New Jersey, not all of them are up to professional clinical standards. Sadly, many individuals who recently completed an extended stay at an inpatient treatment center go on to stay at what is widely known as a “flop house” – a halfway house that is more concerned with raking in a weekly profit than with the well-being of their clients.
What to Look for in a Halfway House
Flop houses typically allow both men and women to reside at the residence, they are often dirty and unkempt and they do not check to ensure that their clients are keeping up-to-date with their personal recovery programs (for example, they have no way to verify whether or not residents are actually attending 12 step meetings). It is important that you know how to find a halfway house. By having the knowledge you need to find a reputable transition residence, it will make the early recovery period much more comfortable.
Seeing as this is a crucial phase of the overall recovery process, it is absolutely crucial that you know exactly what it is you are looking for. First, we will briefly go over what to look for in a halfway house – next, we will go over what steps we recommend you take when looking into the next appropriate level of care.
There are several criteria that reputable halfway houses always meet. While not all sober homes are not the same, we’ve put together a list of the qualities that a reputable sober living residence should have. These positive halfway house qualities include (but are not limited to):
- Providing gender-specific care
- Outlining a strictly enforced set of rules upon admission
- Sober support staff available 24/7, who also ensure that rules are being followed at all times
- Requiring rent be paid bi-weekly or once every month
- Mandating intensive 12 step involvement and daily 12 step meeting attendance
- Encouraging residents to continue on with therapy or psychiatric care whenever necessary
- Requiring a continuation of clinical care (in an intensive outpatient or outpatient program)
- Family involvement
- Making sure that personal spaces and common areas are kept clean at all times
- Enforcing a full or part-time job, ongoing educational pursuits, or regular volunteer work
How to Find a Good Halfway House
There are a few ways to begin searching for a halfway house that will best suit your needs. If you need further assistance when finding a halfway house, feel free to give us a call for more information.
- Conduct an internet search and pay close attention to the reviews left by past residents
- Make a list of facilities you are interested in – call up these facilities and ask for an alumni list and an in-person tour
- If you know anyone who has suffered from addiction in the past, like a family member or a close friend, ask them about their own personal experiences
- If your loved one is currently in treatment and you are looking for a halfway house for them to move into as soon as they are ready, communicate with the treatment center
Riverbend Residence – Reputable Sober Living
If you are looking for a licensed, accredited and gender-specific halfway house in Sussex County, New Jersey, or any surrounding area, Riverbend Residence is an ideal option. We carefully designed our continuation of care with the best interest of each individual resident in mind. We understand what a vulnerable time this can be for individuals who are new to recovery, and our main priority is ensuring that each resident is fully equipped with the relapse prevention tools, life skills, and coping mechanisms he or she needs to maintain success in sobriety for decades to come. For more information simply give Riverbend Residence’s admissions counselors a call today.