Best Sober Living Homes for Men
Sober living houses provide men and women with a structured environment in which they can continue with the healing process. Early recovery can be a difficult time to navigate on your own. The majority of relapses occur within the first year of sobriety. Because of this, those who have recently completed inpatient treatment must stay involved in some level of clinical care. If you recently completed a medical detox program and an inpatient treatment program, you will need to advance to the next appropriate level of recovery – the recovery process does not simply end because residential treatment has been completed.
In most cases, continuous care will look like a combination of intensive outpatient (IOP) and sober living housing. IOP will provide clients with ongoing therapeutic care and will ensure that relapse prevention skills are being actively implemented. Sober living housing will provide clients with an invaluable level of accountability and around-the-clock support.
Gender-Specific Sober Homes for Men
The best sober living houses for men will – first of all – be gender-specific. It is safe to assume that any sober living house that is open to both men and women is not reputable, and will not offer quality clinical care. There are several other components of sober living houses for men that should always be taken into consideration.
When looking for the best sober living houses for men, consider the following:
- Does the sober living house provide a strict set of rules geared towards client accountability, including a curfew and mandatory drug testing?
- Is 12 step meeting attendance and actively working through the 12 steps a mandatory component of each treatment plan?
- Are there experienced professional counselors and support staff members available around the clock to provide support when needed?
- Does the house itself provide all of the amenities of home – is the environment kept clean and are household chores assigned to each individual on a daily/weekly basis?
- Does the house allow members of the opposite sex on-site? Note – this is not a good thing! Reputable sober living homes will not just allow visitors to come and go, and certainly not if these visitors are women. Residents must check-in with the support staff and request visitors, and in most cases a visitor will only be approved if he is a sponsor or an immediate family member.
- Will men be transported to and from IOP and to and from any outside Alcoholics Anonymous meetings that they are required to attend?
Riverbend Residence – Sober Living for Men
Riverbend Residence provides men in Northern New Jersey and all surrounding areas with the supportive and safe environment needed to continue along the road to recovery. Our state-of-the-art men’s transitional housing provides all of the comforts of home – with several additional luxury amenities. Finding the right New Jersey sober living home can be difficult because there are so many sober living houses for men in New Jersey. When looking for the best option to meet all of your personal needs, there are several steps you can take.
Request a tour of the sober living house that you are considering. While you are at the house, ask if you can speak to current residents. Take note of certain things. Is the house clean and taken care of? Does the house come equipped with certain amenities that will contribute to comfort and tranquility? Are the rooms private or semi-private; is there a spacious communal area and a fully equipped kitchen? If the house looks dirty and like it is not taken care of, this is a big red flag. Ask about the house rules. Regardless of how opposed to following house rules, you might be, the more rules the better. Rules will provide structure and help you stay accountable in your recovery.
If you would like to take a tour of Riverbend Residence, please feel free to give us a call today at (844) 505-3447 and we will be glad to assist you or a loved one.